- A firm that is unable to pay debts (liabilities are greater than assets). The New York Times Financial Glossary
* * *
• The company has now been declared insolvent.
• The bank could be rendered insolvent by such a large payment.
* * *A company becomes insolvent when it is either unable to pay its debts as and when they fall due, or when its liabilities, including contingent and prospective liabilities, exceed the value of its assets. The opposite of solvent.► See also Solvent.
* * *insolvent UK US /ɪnˈsɒlvənt/ US /-ˈsɑːl-/ adjective► FINANCE, ACCOUNTING, LAW not having enough money to pay debts, buy goods, etc.: be/become/be declared insolvent »
This May the firm was declared insolvent and its operations were shut down.»
Currently, companies must be insolvent in order to go into administration.»
The bank was technically insolvent - it listed assets of $16.5 million and liabilities of $18.5 million.
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
insolvent — insolvent … Deutsch Wörterbuch
insolvent — in·sol·vent /in säl vənt/ adj 1: having ceased paying or unable to pay debts as they fall due in the usual course of business compare bankrupt 2: having liabilities in excess of a reasonable market value of assets held 3: insufficient to pay all… … Law dictionary
Insolvent — In*sol vent, a. [Pref. in not + solvent: cf. OF. insolvent.] (Law) (a) Not solvent; not having sufficient estate to pay one s debts; unable to pay one s debts as they fall due, in the ordinary course of trade and business; as, in insolvent debtor … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
insolvent — insolvént adj. m., pl. insolvénţi; f. sg. insolvéntă, pl. insolvénte Trimis de siveco, 06.01.2008. Sursa: Dicţionar ortografic INSOLVÉNT, Ă adj. (jur.) Insolvabil. [ … Dicționar Român
Insolvent — In*sol vent, n. (Law) One who is insolvent; as insolvent debtor; in England, before 1861, especially applied to persons not traders. Bouvier. [1913 Webster] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
insolvent — [in säl′vənt] adj. 1. not solvent; unable to pay debts as they become due; bankrupt 2. not enough to pay all debts [an insolvent inheritance] 3. of insolvents or insolvency n. an insolvent person … English World dictionary
insolvent — (1) The inability to pay ones debts as they come due. (2) When one s liabilities exceed the value of one s assets. An exemption under state or federal law which protects all or a portion of the homestead (SA Bankruptcy.com) Inability of a person… … Glossary of Bankruptcy
insolvent — ► ADJECTIVE 1) having insufficient money to pay debts owed. 2) relating to bankruptcy. ► NOUN ▪ an insolvent person. DERIVATIVES insolvency noun … English terms dictionary
Insolvent — (v. lat), zahlungsunfähig; daher Insolvenz, Zahlungsunfähigkeit, s.u. Banquerott … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Insolvént — (lat.), zahlungsunfähig; Insolvénz, Zahlungsunfähigkeit eines Schuldners (s. Konkurs) … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Insolvént — (lat.), zahlungsunfähig; Insolvénz, Zahlungsunfähigkeit … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon